Category: Blogging Tips
|March 20, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Blogging Tips, Branding, Fabulously Geeky, Reviews, Uncategorized|
As I have stated in previous posts, I love to read. It was a perfect opportunity when I was hired at a local bookstore. My favorite part of the job was getting customers excited about the latest book I read. I loved working there, but life changes, and we move on. I was so excited when presented with an opportunity to review a book for my readers. I was asked to read How to Get Anything You Want- Just Like that, by Janet Poole. Of course, upon finding out the name of the book I was intrigued!
I had my suspicions about the book, at first. “Is this going to be a get rich quick type of book?” Well, if you are having those reservations, I can put your mind at ease. This is not that type of book. Janet Poole believes that everyone is truly amazing; we just have to reach inside ourselves and bring it to the surface. Basically, the key to getting everything you want is to be happy, and believe that you deserve it. It is disheartening to know how many people do not believe they deserve to be happy.
Janet Poole walks us through the steps to becoming a fabulous being that is happy, and really does have the life we want and deserve. One of her key points is finding out what this life really is. We have to reach into ourselves and decide what we want, not what society thinks we should want. This is a major issue for many people. I realize now that the life I thought I wanted is not the one I have envisioned. Oddly enough, I am closer than I thought to the life that I actually want. We all need work, but the author will help you realize the true steps of getting there.
An interesting aspect of this book is that Janet Poole touches on Quantum Physics, and how it relates to our unique beings. I am not good at science, and never have been. However, I can understand the way she explains it. I also enjoyed the motivational quotes scattered throughout the book, they are nice pick me ups. I will be putting them on post-it notes and scattering them throughout my house.
Here is one activity she shares in the book. “Try this: look in a mirror and say, ‘I am precious, special, and amazing.’ Notice if this is a challenge for you. Never mind how strange this seems- you may need to pretend you mean it at first, but say it with conviction.” (Page 19)
The most important thing she teaches us to do is to look in the mirror and see this fabulous person looking back at us. We are beautiful, we are amazing, we are smart, and most of all, and we deserve the world!
My challenge to you is to use her process not only to realize just how amazing you are, but also to take your brand to the next level. Realize that your brand deserves everything, that it is amazing, and it is uniquely you!
I will not spoil any more of the book for you, but you must read it. You will not regret it. Janet Poole will help you to realize that you truly are fabulous. In addition- the author is allowing me to choose one reader to receive a free copy of the book. How Fabulous! Just comment below and tell me what your favorite motivational quote is. (Winner will be chosen Saturday, March 24)
Disclaimer: This book was given to me to review. My comments are my own opinions.
|February 8, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Blogging Tips, Branding, Uncategorized|
Creating a brand is one of the most important things you will do in your professional life. Whether you are job hunting, starting a business, starting a blog, promoting and event, or even selling a product. A brand is more than a logo, it is what the world sees when it looks at you and your business. Persuasive Brands defines a brand as “a set of perceptions and images that represent a company, product or service. While many people refer to a brand as a logo, tag line or audio jingle, a brand is actually much larger. A brand is the essence or promise of what will be delivered or experienced.” Although that sums it up, a brand is much bigger than that. Think of your brand as a neon sign above your head shouting to the world what it is that you have to offer.
For the purpose of this article, think of yourself, your blog, your product, your business as a business. (Which, I think is a good practice anyway)
There are 10 biggies to keep in mind as you are defining your brand.
- What is one word to describe yourself? How can you relate this to your business?
- Be exclusive. Make people want to join “the most exclusive club” Who wants to join a club that invites everyone?
- Be Bold- make sure people remember you.
- Be honest about who you are and who your business is. It is much easier to create consistency if you keep this in mind.
- Tell the world How FABULOUS you are.
- Start branding now. The opportunities to express your unique brand are all around you.
- Keep it consistent across all media platforms. This is true with your personal pages as well. With the internet at our fingertips, it is so easy for potential “customers” to see your personal information. You don’t want to be turned down for an opportunity because of something inappropriate you said on Facebook.
- Make sure the image, color, and wording of your name and tagline match the brand you have created.
- Is there something you always say or wear? Include this in the brand. (Think Elizabeth Taylor and her Diamonds)
- Everyone has heard the saying “dress for the job you want, not the job you have,” the same goes for branding. Exude the image of the business you want, not the start-up you have. If you have the appropriate image, confidence, and the drive, it will fall into place.
Does your brand reflect who you are?
Does it need some help?
Do you have questions about this?
|November 6, 2011||Posted by nighlon under Blog Bling, Blogging Tips, Branding, Reviews, The Best of the Web|
I’ve wanted a BLOOK now for a while, so here goes!
I decided to try my hand at turning NighLon into a BLOOK…
Here are my results
With Booksmith, you can choose to either include up to 100 posts or within a certain time frame (this would be great if you want to do it annually or semi-annually)
- Go To http://blog2book.pothi.com/
- Select how many posts you want to include -or- the time frame to include
- Select the posts you want to include
- do you want to include images?
- do you want to include dates?
- customize cover
- add dedication
- add preface
- Go to http://www.blogbooker.com/index.php
- Click on your blog platform
- Enter your url
- If you need help with your xml file, just follow the directions (that’s what I did)
- Select the options you want
- Click create ebook
- See your Blook
In this post, my main goal is to show you solutions for adding newsletter signups to your website.
I chose to base it on websites because with a blog, Its more automated. Just add a Widget.
Websites get a little more complicated. But, all-in-all, its pretty simple.
I will share some websites that offer free newsletter services, as well as how to do it without the assistance of a service.
From my experience, MailChimp offers the best free service for creating and distributing a newsletter.
They also offer paid services.
With the free plan, you can:
- store up to 2000 subscribers
- send up to 12,000 emails per month
- keep track of VIP subscribers
- send mini newsletters
- add signup form to your Facebook page
- enable comments on your newsletter
- customize signup button
- so much more
MadMimi is simple, yet powerful. It is utilized by Squidoo and Northwestern University.
It is free for up to 100 contacts with limits to the features available.
It requires no prior skills and is customizable.
3. Simply Cast
Simply Cast offers a free for life plan for sending unlimited emails per month and storing up to 1000 contacts.
- drag and drop customization
- free HTML templates
- customize with fonts colors and company logos
- tracking tools
- content checker
- image hosting
- text only messages available
- opt-out management
- customer care
If you want to manage your subscriptions yourself and send out forms, there is a way to do it.
- Use ZOHO CREATOR to create a form that will send to your email.
- Use FOXYFORM to create customizable forms with anti-spam capabilities.
- Sign up at EMAIL ME FORM. Create a Form with enless possibilities.
- Make sure to send newsletters out on schedule
- Include information that is exclusive to the newsletter
- Include offers for subscribers only
- Include a coming up section with what to expect from upcoming newsletters
- Make it interactive. Encourage readers to give feedback
- Make it visually appealing
- Have fun with it, your readers will appreciate this