|December 5, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Blog Bling, Blogging Tips, Branding, Fabulously Geeky, Facebook, Geek Out, Holidays, Other, Social Networks, Twitter|
I finally reached that huge milestone on Twitter and I want to give my followers the chance to win a Social Media Package from NighLon Solutions. (When the giveaway ends, there will be something special for everyone!)
This is a $150 value that includes everything you need to revamp or begin your social media presence. As an added bonus, you will receive hints and tips from me as we go through the process of developing your design. I will even incorporate your existing images if you choose.
There are 3 easy ways to enter and one lucky person with get the loot!
|November 14, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Branding, Social Networks, Twitter|
|October 22, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Twitter|
Several months ago, I posted about my urge to receive an invite to Triberr. Thanks to a bloggy buddy, I did receive an invite. I was disappointed at first, but I am now in love with Triberr. With Google as my boyfriend and Triberr as my “mistress” I can conquer the world.
I didn’t log in to Triberr for a few months after I had an account because I really thought it wasn’t helping much. Then, about a week ago, I received an invite to another tribe. I joined the tribe and decided to give it another go. I have been logging in most days for about a week and have seen some significant changes.
Since I decided to give it another shot, I have received several invites to new tribes, and seen a growth in my own tribe. Because of Triberr, I have gained close to 100 new Twitter followers. I am now a member of 12 tribes, have 379 Tribemates, and have a reach of over 5 million. That is pretty exciting. It also helps that I am finding new blogs to read and new people to follow on Twitter.
My Twitter stats are constantly improving and I have seen a huge increase in interactions. I am now hooked on Triberr and am urging you to join.
Here are some helpful articles (found through Triberr)
Are you on Tribber? What is your favorite tool to make Twitter more fun (as if it weren’t enough fun already!)
|April 11, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Branding, Facebook, Other, Social Networks, Twitter|
This is one of the very first things I see each morning.
What is Klout, you ask?
Well, Klout defines themselves as: The standard measure of online influence.
I won’t go into my opinion of their definition, that is for another post!
I will share with you why I think it is important to keep track of your Klout score.
First, I want you to know that if you have a Facebook or Twitter account, you already have a Klout score, why not monitor it.
How Klout Works:
Klout uses a unique formula to track your tweets, posts, and other forms of communications on social networking sites. The formula consists of:
- Your true reach (how many people you actually influence)
- Amplification of your message (how often do people respond to your content)
- Your network size (along with how influential they are)
Because of the formula, it is not easy to just up your score.
How To Use Klout
I know that there are so many opinions on how to properly use Klout. I say, toss those out the virtual window. There is no way for a formula to determine how much you influence others. Yes, it can track interactions, but that is it. Don’t allow your Klout score to determine how you feel about your brand.
I urge you to not put all of your virtual eggs in the Klout basket, but still pay attention to your score. The reason for this is that potential clients, employers, sponsors, and your competition can see your Klout score. If you want to get attention or make money, a good Klout score is a must.
I track my score to make sure that I am being consistent. I do this by checking the topics Klout says I’m influential in, checking my Klout style, and keeping an eye on my score. I want to make sure that I am not only interacting with my followers enough, but also make sure that I am staying on track.
Tips For A High Klout Score
No, I don’t think your score has to be high to be an influential person. I also don’t think that your SCORE is all you should care about. I am sharing tips for a high score because these tips will help in all areas of social media.
- Create content others will want to share. Although I encourage you to share tidbits from your life, that isn’t all you should be sharing. It isn’t very likely that you will be retweeted when you post “blog surfing,” but if you also share what you are reading, and a link it has a higher possibility of being shared or responded to.
- Interact with your followers and those who follow you. Show a genuine interest.
- Start discussions. Ask questions. This is a great way to start interacting.
- Connect all of your networks. It will not lower your score if you have fewer interactions, but it may increase it.
- Build a community. Get to know your followers, and you will be interacting before you know it. Have conversations with your community.
- Interact with Influencers. Find out who they are in your niche, follow them, reply to them, and retweet them.
- Schedule tweets. Use an app like Bufferapp to schedule your tweets for peek viewing time. You can also use it to make sure you get tweets out, even when you have a busy day.
Do you have a high score? What is your secret?
Do you want to improve your score? What do you need help with?
(pssst… don’t forget to sign up for the new newsletter)
|April 8, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Blogging Tips, Branding, Social Networks, Traditional Marketing, Twitter, Uncategorized|
A #Hashtag (#) is basically a call signal for searches within twitter. I think #hashtags are not utilized enough, I am even guilty of this.
There are so many posts I could write about how to use #hashtags, but I have something different in mind for you today. I am going to share tips with you on creating a successful #hashtag campaign. I promise, you will enjoy it.
1. My first tip is something that seems obvious enough, but I don’t see bloggers using this enough. Use your own brand in the #hashtag, but be sure to make it catchy. For instance use #wearnighlons instead of #nighlon or #marketing. You could, however use your #campaignname along with a #subject. For example:
Using this technique will not only get your brand seen, but it will also allow #tweeps to get an idea of what you are all about.
The #hashtag #wearnighlons also grabs attention because it invokes curiosity.
I do want to mention that sometimes a #hashtag without the brand name is appropriate, but you have to have the marketing power at your disposal. If you don’t you run the risk of it being tossed by the wayside.
2. Make sure you don’t piggyback on funny #hashtags like #thisisthelife or #worstdayever. Come up with something unique, so that when people see it, they respond in a way that reflects your brand.
3. Include your #hashtag on photos on your blog, cover photo for Faceboook, Twitter background, emails, Facebook posts, and even wheharing posts that pertain to your own brand. For instance, if I were sharing a post on Facebook that someone else wrote, but that applied to what I do, I might share it like this:
4. Monitor the Campaign and respond to those using your #hashtag! I cannot stress enough how important it is to interact with people on twitter who take the time to not only retweet and respond, but also to use a #hashtag you have designated for your brand. Although there are tools out there to do this, like hashtags.org, you can do it by simply typing it into the search bar on Twitter.
5. Use your own #hashtag- I know it sounds obvious, but tweet thing related to your campaign and include your #hashtag.
6. Urge your Twitter followers, blog readers, friends, and Facebook fans to tweet using your #hashtag. While you are at it, return the favor. Tweet using #hashtags from other campaigns.
7. Be aware of the risks. It can happen, your #hashtag can be hijacked and used to say negative things about your brand. #McDStories and #Shamrocking (also from McDonalds) both got hijacked. Even though this isn’t as common as it could be, it does happen. This is another reason to be diligent in monitoring the campaign.
Try your #hashtag out with people you know. We all have friends that can turn anything snarky. Ask them for input before going live.
Remember that there is always the possiblity of a negative reaction when launching a branding or marketing campaign. We as brands have to make sure to stay aware of what is being said and to take steps to curb the negative reaction.
I hate to admit that I do not use #hashtags as much as I should, but I love the potential they have. I urge you in joining me to make an effort to use #hashtags more often!
I urge you to start a #hashtag campaign today! I did!
Do you have a #hashtag or #twitter tip you would like to share?
Tweet it to @nighlon using #wearnighlons
|March 23, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Facebook, Other, Social Networks, Twitter|
This week I am sharing with you my Top 10 Facebook pages apps. There are 12 spaces (9 being in a drop down menu). The first one, by default, will always be photos. One of them will be likes. Have fun with the rest!
- Paper.li is an amazing service I use. It gathers stories from your social networks and arranges them by subject matter. To use this app, simply go to their page. Then, on the left menu, click the paper.li link. It will help you install this app.
- Networked Blogs is a great way to show your feed. If you already have Networked blogs, just go to the app and you will be walked through the process. (It may already be on your timeline). If you do not have Networked blogs-, you really should! – That is for another post!
- Twittus may just be my favorite app yet. #ILOVETWITTER, but never really liked posting my tweets to Facebook. Now, however, I can display them in their own box! This is pretty exciting. Twittus is actually on your own profile, but what a great way to advertise!
- The DoJo Twitter Feed from AppSumo allows you to share your tweets on your timeline. The other cool feature of DoJo Twitter Feed is that fans can retweet and reply right from your timeline.
- The MailChimp allows you to create a tab for fans to subscribe to your newsletter. Pretty Handy!
- Contact Me “The easiest way to organize and grow your business” creates contact forms that can be accessed via tabs on the timeline. Use this to reel in new clients or to work with other brands. How you use contact forms is reliant on your specific business/ blog. That being said, I’m sure they can be beneficial to everyone!
- SurveyMonkey! It’s pretty obvious that this app allows you to create surveys, but its more than just a poll. SurveyMonkey allows you to create the survey/ poll, send it to fans, and even embed the survey into your timeline or post a link on your wall. It is great for anyone wanting fan feedback!
- Professional allows you to add a page to your timeline to showcase your portfolio and experiences.
- Promo allows you to create your own promotions for your brand. It will make giving something away in exchange for a like so much easier.
- FaqPage allows you to create a tab for frequently asked questions. This is great for all types of brands.
|March 4, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Branding, Facebook, NighLon Updates, Social Networks, The Best of the Web, Twitter, Uncategorized|
In last week’s post, I mentioned that the Best of the Web would be a little bit different for several weeks. The reason being that my group of Misfit Blogger Buddies and I are doing blog critiques. This week is NighLon’s week to be critiqued. What this means for you: Today’s post is a little different and there will be some fabulous changes in the weeks to come. We all need to take a step back and let others give us feedback on our blogs. This is exactly what I am doing. NighLon is not only getting some great feedback, but some amazing ideas from the other misfit bloggers!
Now, I will get to today’s special post: a call for sponsors. Besides consultations, start up, and design services; NighLon is now offering advertisement space for rent.
161 unique visitors a day, totaling to 209 page views. (Many of which are very loyal readers)
NighLon has a direct network of 1074 people via Facebook and Twitter.
Klout score of +54, with influence in 7 topics.
What you get:
I am charging a flat rate of $50 dollars a month for ad space. However, this includes more than just a square on the sidebar. It also comes in two options.
Ad size choices:
300 x 100 (one offered a month) [reference: the for rent button on the sidebar]
150 x150 (two offered a moth)
These will be located on the sidebar where the “This space for rent” button is. I will only be offering 3 spaces a month, but If I am filled up, I will definitely be happy to work with you.
Other benefits of advertising on NighLon include:
One sponsors highlight post a month.
One “please follow” tweet a month
#hashtag of your choice used once a day
One Facebook Share a week
I will add your advertisement to the weekly newsletter for the month
I will also add your advertisement to my email signature for the month
I can also help design your ad.
If you need more time to advertise or need a bigger ad space, email me and we will discuss it.
If you want to use just a few of my services, NighLon can work with that as well.
This has been my call for sponsorships, if you are interested, email me at email@example.com
Keep calm and advertise with NighLon!
|February 10, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Blogging Tips, Branding, Facebook, Other, Reviews, Social Networks, Tech Tips, Twitter|
“We have technology, finally, that for the first time in human history allows people to really maintain rich connections with much larger numbers of people.” – Pierre Omidyar, founder, eBay
This quote rings true, and will continue to ring true as long as life as we know it exists. With this technology, marketing has become much simpler. However, it has also become more difficult. It is easier to get the message out there, but with such a flood of information, it is sometimes harder to get noticed. Yes, I know, it is hard to believe, but human behavior is in fact changing in the face of social media. All this means is that as people, brands, businesses, and bloggers; we have to change the way we communicate.
We have to realize that everyone has the world at their fingertips. Part of knowing this is also remembering that you also have the world at your fingertips. This means that even though the world is “shouting” at eachother via the internet, we have a much wider audience than we would have had even 5 years ago.
Social media is not a crippler for small businesses, it is just a means to reach the world.
Today, I am sharing with you my “must have” tools for marketing with social media.
Even though some of these may seem like “duh” not everyone realized that they can use the tools to their benefit.
- A Facebook fanpage- Facebook has the second highest volume of traffic on the internet. Second only to Google.
- Twitter- As technology progresses, us humans have shorter attention spans. Twitter is perfect for reaching new audiences, sharing blog posts, following #trends, and answering questions.
- Buffer- Use Buffer to schedule tweets (you can place up to 10 tweets in your bufferapp using the free account.) I use it to place quotes in. That way, if I don’t make it to twitter, my readers can still benefit from following me.
- Photobucket- Still my favorite photo sharing and hosting platform.
- Youtube- there are so many uses: post how to videos, make commercials, examples for research, and why not host a vlog??
- wififreenet.com- find a free hotspot wherever you are!
- Google Apps- Google labs is always adding new and useful applications to help the small business owner. Remember to treat your blog like a business and use these to your advantage (most are even free). My favorite is Google documents and calendar. Use these to not only keep yourself on track, but also collaborate on projects. My other favorite- Google Analytics. These are amazing tools that you can definitely use to your advantage.
- Stumbleupon- not only can you keep track of your favorite websites, you can discover new favorites, and even use it to market your own site.
- Twiddla- Host meeting and planning sessions online. You can even bring in a particular website to discuss and doodle all over it.
- Photoshop.com- Edit images and store them. This is a free service, so even though it is not competition for software like Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, it will do the job when you simply need to do a quick edit.
|February 2, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Branding, Social Networks, Twitter, Uncategorized|
I don’t tweet as much as I used to… but I LOVE twitter. I think it is pure genius.
Twitter, by definition, is A series of short, high-pitched calls or sounds
Makes sense why Twitter is Twitter, doesn’t it.
I myself, have a hard time keeping up with ALL of the twitter lingo.
I have compiled a guide for you.
Tweet : A Short Update of what you are doing for about 140 characters.
Followers : People who are subscribed of your updates or fondly known as Tweeps.
FF- Follow Friday(#followfriday) A Twitter “endorsement” Tweeted show the user’s favorite people on twitter. (You could also just use #FF)
Hashtag #: A way of organizing your updates for Twitter search engine & to enable others to discover relevant posts. You can simply click on the hashtagged word and see the search results. (For example, the SITS girls use the following hashtag: #SITS31DBBB)
Those are the most basic of twitter definition.
Because most of us use Twitter via phone, there are also special commands for Twitter for sms.
Here they are:
When using these, always send to the twitter number.
ON turns on your authorized notifications
OFF, STOP, QUIET, END, and Cancel turn off your authorized notifications
FOLLOW [username] allows you to follow a specified user (example FOLLOW NIGHLON or F NIGHLON)
UNFOLLOW [username] allows you to unfollow someone you have previously followed
BLOCK [username] to block a user
@[username] + message - shows your Tweet as a reply directed at another person, and causes your Tweet to save in their mentions tab. (Example: @nighlon you tweet me right!)
D [username] + message - sends that person a direct message that goes to their device, and saves in their web archive.You can also use M [username] + message to send a private message!
RT [username] - sends that user’s latest Tweet to your followers (a retweet)
HELP - texting help or info to Twitter will bring up helpful tips.
SUGGEST - this command returns a listing of Twitter users’ accounts we think you might enjoy following.
These were just the very basic of commands, there are many, many more!
Today, I am doing a little something different. I have some questions for you!
1. What kind of twitter user are you?
2. What other kinds of tips would you like to see?
3. Would you like to see an interactive twitter guide on the NighLon app, when it is released?
4. Have you signed up for the new newsletter?
|January 18, 2012||Posted by nighlon under ----- Day, Fabulously Geeky, Facebook, Holidays, Other, Social Networks, Twitter|
Finally, I figured it out!
NIGHLON is black!
Along with many other major sites!
Finally, I figured it out!
NIGHLON is black!
Along with many other major sites!