|April 17, 2012||Posted by nighlon under The Best of the Web|
I want to introduce you to Gretchen at Three Little Monkeys Studio
Isn’t this just the most adorable logo?
Gretchen not only has the 3 most adorable redheads, but she creates some amazing printables.
She sells party packs and supplies at her Etsy store, and they are just too adorable.
I LOVE her blog.
She shares recipes that will ruin your diet, printables for your home and blog, tips for party planning, as well as other nifty printables.
The misfit bloggers and I are so lucky to have Gretchen as one of us!
Thank you Gretchen for being an amazing blogger and friend!
|April 14, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Uncategorized|
Yes, I was grasping at straws for a topic today.
I have huge news for you tonight!
The NighLon Branding and Marketing Forum is now open!
See it here: http://nbmforum.forumotion.com/
It still has a lot of work, but it is open. If you need help, feel free to pop in and say hello!
This is a huge project and I have big plans for it.
The forum will be evolving for quite a while.
Other big news: NighLon will be participating in a blog hop for the Misfit Bloggers.
I will be taking the topic of the week and putting a marketing/ branding spin to it.
I may stumble through a few, but it will be okay.
If you have any suggestions for the forum, feel free to share!
|April 12, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Blogging Tips, Fabulously Geeky, The Office|
Today is a two part post because I couldn’t choose which one I wanted to do first. Also- because some special ladies I know are going to Bloggy Boot Camp.
Lets start with the Launch Station.
I’m sure you have seen these all over the web, in magazines, and you may even have one in your home. I think they are genius- mine saved me from forgetting very important items while running out the door to work.
I put a different spin on mine now. Because I work at home, I have a mobile office. This allows me to work wherever I need to, without forgetting my materials. Really handy for getting work done while a toddler plays. I know that a lot of people have mobile offices, but do they use a Launch Station with it? Probably, but I have yet to see one online. Maybe I’m not digging deep enough. Because of this lack of information, I will share mine with you.
I will admit, though, that I took pictures, but it really isn’t very pretty. Its also not completely finished- I still have to gather some materials. Today, I will share my tips for setting one up, and I will share the finished product next week, when I share my mobile office with you.
Benefits of a Launch Station
- Because your mobile office will be convenient, your Launch Station can be somewhere out of the way and not so convenient. Its a great way to utilize that space that you are clueless about what to put there.
- It allows you to gather those items that you don’t need in your mobile office, yet still need access to.
- Don’t have a home office? That’s okay, with a Launch station and a mobile office, you will have everything you need.
- You no longer have to search for somewhere to print items, charge, or sync.
What to have at your launch station
- A space to plug your computer
- back up data to an external drive
- This is great for setting your mobile office and calendar on while you prepare and gather what you need for the day.
Who needs a Launch Station and a Mobile office?
- Anyone who works in different locations
- Those that carry their work with them
- Anyone who attends conferences and trade shows.
- A Launch Station can also be set up with this purpose in mind.
I urge anyone who can benefit from a mobile office set up a Launch Station, it will make life much more convenient.
NighLon’s Tips for Attending Conferences
These are things I have learned from attending trade shows and conferences in different industries. They are simple tips that will work no matter the specific purpose of the event. My tips are simple, yet will make your experience much less stressful.
- Pack items needed (not clothing, etc) for the actual event several days ahead of time. This will allow you time to make sure you have everything.
- Make sure you have spare chargers so that you aren’t grabbing one at the last minute walking out the door. (I learned this lesson the hard way)
- Carry a small cross body bag for business cards, ID, pen, notepad, and hand sanitizer.
- In your larger bag, carry a folded reusable shopping bag (I never leave home without one), along with your computer, chargers, water, notebook, and a pair of really comfortable shoes. (The ballet flats that fold are perfect for this)
- Connect with someone before the event, and make it a point to spend some time together while you are there.
- Know who you are and why you are there.
- Know what sessions you want to attend, and research the speakers. Write down any questions you have. Organize them my session.
- Have fun and smile.
|April 10, 2012||Posted by nighlon under Blogging Tips|
I have been thinking about encouragement a lot today. The Misfit Bloggers and I have been actively supporting each other, especially today.
(That being said, I want to take a moment to congratulate my friend Rachel for JUST DOING IT in her current endeavor!)
No, this is not a sports blog. It is also not a Nike site. I do think we can all learn a lot from Nike and their marketing team.
JUST DO IT…
Such a simple phrase of three simple words, yet it means so much. whenever I am searching for motivation, those three words immediately pop in to my head. (I am actually NOT an athlete.)
There is just something in those words that makes it click. Stop putting it off, JUST DO IT.
I am not talking about exercise or dieting or anything like that. I’m not even talking about signing up for a service, or getting a marketing plan together.
I am talking about whatever it is that you have been thinking about. don’t play shy, I know there is something you have been putting off.
For me, it was contacting a company that I adore to give them some ideas and let them know how much I love their products.
For you it may be setting up a promotion, asking someone to write a review, reaching out to twitter followers, or even taking a day off to get a fresh look. Whatever it is, JUST DO IT. You have no idea what the outcome may be until you do. If you never try, you will never succeed.
Try making a list and promising to mark one thing off a day, or even a week. You can even do what I do. I write things that are super simple on the list, or even things that I have already done, just so that I can mark them off. There is something magical about a to-do list that has been started on. I always feel more motivated seeing what I have already accomplished. So, if there is something you have been putting off- JUST DO IT!
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.”
What have you been putting off?
Disclaimer: this post was not solicited by Nike.
I was not compensated for using the phrase “Just Do It”
|April 10, 2012||Posted by nighlon under The Best of the Web|
Its that time again:
Today, I am introducing you to Candi. She owns Candiland Dessert Company and blogs at A Day in Candiland.
I love cupcakes, chocolate, cookies, and just about anything involving dessert! If you are like me, you will not be able to survive a trip to her blog. Go ahead and visit her- but remember, I warned you!
Not only does Candi bake the most amazing looking desserts ever, but she is a mom, a wife, and loves her Palm Springs home.
This is what you will see when visiting A Day in Candiland.
Candi blogs about her life and adventures in Palm Springs and in the baking world. She also shares yummy tricks and recipes.
She also writes about her love of tea- time. Candi is not only an amazing blogger, but she is such a great addition to the Misfit Bloggers. I am so glad to have her in our group.
Head on over to A Day In Candiland, and congratulate her on the big move to WordPress.